Location: Shaw AFB, SC
Journeyman Cartographers shall acquire, analyze, evaluate, extract and compile geospatial information as feature (point, line, or area) and terrain data from selected source materials, utilizing photogrammetric techniques to achieve an accurate cartographic representation of a specific area at a specific scale (or level of detail) for digital data and geospatial data from imagery, intelligence database, and various ancillary sources in support of national security goals and strategies. The cartographer shall utilize an understanding of geography, remote sensing, spatial analysis, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), intelligence issues, and social and physical sciences to create information, characterize events, and discover relationships and trends. They attribute, exploit, extract, format, manipulate, position, and symbolize geospatial information. They ensure the quality, accuracy, and currency of geospatial information produced in-house or in cooperation with national and international co-producers for national, military, and civil partners.
- 3 to 10 years of cartographic finishing and feature extraction related experience.
- Knowledge of feature data extraction and attribution process.
- Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS and PLTS.
- Knowledge of geospatial database content management.
- Knowledge of basic coordinate systems (latitude and longitude, UTM).
- Knowledge of projections and their properties.
- Knowledge of symbolization rules (how symbols are used to portray features).
- Demonstrated ability to collect data from rasterized sources including the proper rectifying of the source if so required.
- Experience working with geospatial data in a multi-user enterprise environment.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Access and Excel.
- Experience in creating shapefiles, geodatabases, and features.
- Knowledgeable in cartographic finishing techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to export data in multiple formats, predominantly standard MILSPEC as well as shapefiles.
- Knowledge of generalization rules.
- Demonstrated ability to use imagery for the purposes of nautical chart compilation.
- Experience with combining digital cartography, computer technology, GIS, cartographic and geospatial production techniques, remote sensing, photogrammetry, and digital data formats.
TOP SECRET/SCI CLEARANCE REQUIRED