Hardware Engineer (Senior)
Location: Washington DC
Daily activities include:
- Provide hardware engineering expertise to analyze complex hardware systems, hardware design, architecture, network design and other technical hardware issues
- Procure and perform acceptance testing on equipment
- Provide hardware maintenance support, both preventative and remedial. Deploy, install, and implement hardware at Continental United States (CONUS) and Outside Continental United States (OCONUS)
- Prepares specifications for hardware by analyzing documented and derived system requirements
- Conduct site surveys
- Prepares engineering plans and site Technical Design Packages
- Organize and direct hardware installations. Configure (and document configuration of) computers, networking devices and various peripheral equipment.
- Prepare site installation and test reports. Ensure that problems have been properly identified and solutions will satisfy the user’s requirements
- Prepare reports and recommendations concerning existing and emerging hardware technologies
- Provide specific input to the hardware components of system design to include end-user devices, servers, networking devices, data storage devices, and specialized processors
- Analyze hardware specifications and system/subsystem requirements to conceive and document a practical design for hardware components to include servers, network devices, transmission media, storage devices, user interface devices, and special processors.
- Prepare functional requirements and specifications for hardware acquisitions. Ensure that problems with operational hardware have been properly identified and solutions will satisfy the user’s requirements.
- Conduct site surveys; assesses and documents current site network configuration and site-unique requirements.
- Recommend specifications for hardware acquisitions.
- Prepare engineering plans and site installation Technical Design Packages.
- Develop hardware installation schedules based upon set-up, integration, and test timelines.
- Prepare drawings documenting as-built configurations at each site.
- Prepare site installation and test reports.
- Configure computers, communications devices and peripheral equipment.
- Train site personnel in proper use of hardware.
- Prepare installation guides, field test procedures, and troubleshooting guides.
- Organize and directs hardware installations across multiple sites.
- Analyze and recommend hardware specifications for project-unique or modified commercial hardware.
- Assist with building simulations of proposed systems and provides hardware throughput analyses to system engineers.
- Design and verify test harnesses/simulated interfaces for all test and integration phases.
- Prepare Mean-Time-Between-Failure and Mean-Time-To-Repair analyses.
- Analyze operational data to identify choke points, failure modes, and other data for design or maintainability improvements.
- Direct the work of other hardware engineers on a project requiring a variety of hardware engineering activities and tasks.
- Plan all phases of hardware project to include schedules, budgets, and maturation of technical performance parameters.
- Work closely with system engineering and test engineering to develop and validate hardware portion of test plans, test procedures, throughput models, failure analysis, and risk analysis.
- Develop proposals for the program manager to reduce or avoid customer costs in up-front acquisition costs or operational/disposal costs.
- Organize and direct teams to address critical system failures that potentially derive from hardware component failure or misconfiguration.
- Minimum related Bachelor’s Degree and 8+ years of experience.
- DoDD 8570 IAT II
- experience with common PC desktop components and peripherals as well as VOIP devices, printers, monitors, KVM switches
- OEM vendor certifications
Clearance Requirements: ACTIVE TS/SCI