41% of organizations are a year away from GDPR compliance (2018 Compliance Report)
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a legal framework that applies to all organizations anywhere in the world that handles, stores, or processes the personal data of EU citizens. It dictates the procedures and consequences surrounding breaches and notification. GDPR came into effect across the EU on May 25, 2018.
- You must ask for strict “opt-in” consent each time and for each purpose your organization
uses a customer’s data
- You must allow EU citizens to withdraw consent and prove deletion of consumer data
- EU citizens may request their information at any time and you must provide it
- You must notify authorities of data breaches within 72 hours of occurrence
- Fines of up to $20 million or 4% of global turnover, whichever is greater, per incident
- Risk of class action lawsuits from data breach victims
- Damage to your company’s brand and erosion of consumer trust
- Long-term revenue loss
GDPR Compliance Tips
- Give customers an opt-out option in regard to their personal data as well as confirming that your business has permission to use their data.
- EU individuals can request to have their data deleted. Take a proactive approach and go ahead with deleting irrelevant data as it comes in.
- Have a plan in place to detect, investigate, and report a data breach within 72 hours should it happen.
Privacy and EU GDPR
15:22 min | In this module, we review the main goals and objectives of the new European Union General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR).
GDPR - Consequences of Non-Compliance (Video)
1:28 min | This video covers the impact non-compliance with GDPR regulations can have on your organization.
GDPR - Important Definitions (Video)
1:58 min | Brief lesson covers the particulars of how GDPR defines data and its uses.
GDPR - Rights of the Data Subjects (Video)
1:07 min | This video explains the rights people have under GDPR when it comes to how their data is stored, processed, and destroyed
GDPR - What is GDPR? (Video)
2:01 min | A high level overview of the origin and aims of the General Data Protection Regulations
GDPR - Breach Notification (Video)
1:43 min | This brief video covers the next steps for an organization should a breach occur.
GDPR for Executives
14:37 min | This security awareness training covers Privacy and the General Data Protection Regulation for Executives.
GDPR for Managers
14:53 min | This security awareness training covers Privacy and the General Data Protection Regulation for Managers.
GDPR for Data Processors
11:08 min | This security awareness training covers privacy and EU General Data Protection Regulation for data processors.
Need to Know: Privacy by Design
2:15 min | Sometimes, two heads are NOT better than one. Follow along as Harold and Cecil make a bad decision about data gathering and discover the importance of privacy by design.
Get Our Weekly Blog Sent Straight to Your Inbox